Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Not Amusing Socks Are Done

These were an experiment.  I wanted to see how much the nupps affected the elasticity of the socks. The good news is, they don't have a significant impact so I can incorporate them into a design without worrying about winding up with socks that have no give.
I started with just one nupp at the top and increased the number of nupps per row as I moved down the sock. The bottom of the cuff is just as stretchy as the top.
It's really evident how different the two skeins are in this picture. The nupps don't really add much on their own but I think they can be combined with cables or traveling stitches to create an interesting design. I also think they'd look best in a solid color. They could also be done in a contrasting color for a polka dot effect.
The top of the foot has lots of nupps. I didn't have to worry about stretchiness here but it turns out it wouldn't have been a problem. I'm glad they're done and that I can move on to a new pair of socks. They probably won't be made with Lorna's Laces since I'm still steaming about how off the two different skeins are.

No comments:

Post a Comment